Broadway Plaza between 42nd and 43rd Streets
On the east and west sides of what is now the NYPD sub-station between 42nd and 43rd Streets, two detailed yet understated mosaics remind visitors of historic New York City. Installed in 1957 at what was then the Times Square Information Center, the 10-foot tall maps were designed by artist Edward Meshekoff. The mosaics map out the NYC region in colorful orange and blue tiles. Radiating lines from the compass rose orient the viewer and invite one to look closely at the inlaid metal icons of famous New York City landmarks, including a few that have been removed or relocated since the artwork’s dedication in 1958. Highlights include a dinosaur near the American Museum of Natural History, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the former location of the New York Coliseum at Columbus Circle. The mosaics have been well-preserved through many changes in Times Square, including the NYPD’s adoption of the building in 1993, and a major renovation of the building in 2016.
About Edward Meshekoff
Edward Meshekoff (1917-2010) was a New York-based artist, illustrator, and designer. He was born in the Bronx and received his artistic education at UCLA, after which he contributed to a long list of New York City public works. He is well-known for architectural bronze works such as the detailing on the Nelson Tower on 7th Avenue and the decorative railings at Lincoln Center's New York State Theater. He also created commissioned murals, mosaics, and sculpture for Modern architectural buildings such as the General Telephone Building and the AMOCO Building in Midtown Manhattan, and other prominent locations along the East Coast of the US. Meshekoff also developed a system of training using visual aids for the US military during World War II, which is still in use today.